5 Must-Do’s Before Showings
Want to make your home stand out during a showing and lead to a quick sale? Consider doing these five things to prep your home for a tour.
- Clean: If you don’t do anything else on this list, DO THIS ONE!! Consider hiring a professional cleaning company if cleaning is not your thing. A home that looks (and smells) clean will pay dividends.
- Let in the Light: Although there are always exceptions, the majority of home buyers love light. Walking into a dark property is a substantial initial turnoff. Do your best to let as much light into your home as you can. If possible, always turn on lights before a showing and open up all blinds and drapes. You will be surprised at how warm and inviting the space will become in the eyes of a buyer as they enter your home.
- Make the Space Inviting: Consider playing some soft music or leaving cookies on the counter. Treat your buyers like you would a special guest. The goal is to make them so comfortable in your home that they want to make it their own.
- Neutralize & Simplify: Everyone has different tastes, but when it comes to selling your home, it is best to keep everything neutral, simple, and clean. Remove all clutter and minimize/organize as best as possible. Consider repainting walls or swapping out fixtures if recommended by your agent or stager. Keep any home décor neutral and straightforward, and remove any personal pictures. You want a buyer to be able to envision themselves in the space rather than be distracted by your items.
- Be Scarce: This may go without saying, but ideally, you should be absent during a showing so that your prospective buyers are comfortable looking at the house, asking questions, and making comments. Remember, there will always be a licensed agent present with a buyer while they are in your home.