Essential oils to try in your home
Essential oils are all the buzz these days, and there are so many uses for these wonderfully smelling oils throughout the house. With so many choices and brands, essential oils can quickly become overwhelming. Consider stocking your home with these staples to boost your mood, cure some common ailments, or create your own cleaning products!
Lavender – Lavender is probably one of the most widely known and used essential oils in the home. It’s known for it’s soothing and calming properties but can also sooth skin irritations when used topically. Here are a few things to try with Lavender!
- Add to water in a spray bottle and spray on your pillows and sheets before bed to aid sleep and relaxation.
- Diffuse in your house to add calm and peace.
- Stir into your bath for extra relaxation before bed.
- Mix with a carrier oil and roll onto your neck or feet to support relaxation.
- Apply to skin to relieve irritation.
Eucalyptus – Eucalyptus is commonly known for helping to open your airways if you have a cold. It also has purifying properties making it a great addition to skin cleansers and cleaning products.
- Diffuse in your home to freshen the air and sooth/uplift.
- Add Eucalyptus to a bowl of hot water and inhale the steam to open your air passages when you have a cold.
- Add Eucalyptus and tea tree oil to water and spray in your shower to prevent mold.
- Add to water in a spray bottle and use to wipe down surfaces.
- Add a few drops on the floor of your shower to feel clear and invigorated.
- Inhale to ease tension
Lemon – Lemon is such a clean, fresh, and happy scent to use throughout the home. Outside of just smelling good, it helps get rid of the grime on your dishes and surfaces, helps with anxiety, and improves your mood.
- Add a few drops to your dishwashing detergent for sparkling clean and fresh smelling dishes.
- Add 5-10 drops and ¼ cup white vinegar to a gallon of water to clean dirty floors.
- Add five drops to a spray bottle of water to freshen the air, eliminate airborne bacteria, and clean surfaces.
- Diffuse in the air to make you feel more energized and less anxious.
- Add a few drops to your water to help cleanse the body and aid in digestion.
- Add to your hand soap to increase cleaning power when greasy.
Wild Orange – Soothes nerves, uplifts the mind and body, protects against environmental threats, acts as a powerful cleanser/purifying agent, and helps calm upset stomachs.
- Use in an all-purpose spray to clean and purify surfaces.
- Mix with a carrier oil and rub on the abdomen to alleviate digestion issues.
- Mix with peppermint and carrier oil and rub on the back of the neck to help with focus.
- Diffuse in a room to kill bacteria, purify the air and create an uplifting environment.
- Add to a cup of hot tea to support your immune system.
- Mix with a carrier oil to create your own moisturizer.
Tea Tree – Used to clean and disinfect, heal/sooth the skin, and repeal pesky insects. A must-have in any home.
- Add a few drops in your shampoo for added cleaning.
- Add a few drops to cleaning spray to kill germs.
- Dab on pimples to clear up acne.
- Put a few drops in a diffuser to deodorize and disinfect the air.
- Apply to fingernails after showering to purify and keep nails healthy
- Add to a spray bottle of water to clean surfaces.
Peppermint – Used to help calm an upset stomach, increase energy, and relieve headaches.
- Add a drop to your forehead to ease a headache.
- Inhale to relieve nausea.
- Add to a water bottle and spray to keep out pests.
- Diffuse in your house for an instant pick me up.
- Put in water and swish around mouth to freshen your breath.
There you have it! With just a few essential oils, you have a whole list of uses around your home. Have fun, and enjoy the benefits!